Swimming Pools

The Steps

Review Some Issues That May Impact Your Project

  • Working within or near wetlands, a floodplain, or any river or stream
  • Your project will need to conform with the current Needham Zoning By-Law

Get Your Application Together

Verify that your contractor is registered as a home improvement contractor.

  • Building Permit Application - All permit applications and attachments must be submitted electronically. We no longer accept paper permits.
  • For Homeowners obtaining their own permit complete the Home Owners Warning Form (PDF).
  • Workers' compensation insurance affidavit (Fillable PDF) – this must be completed by the contractor or the homeowner, whoever is doing the work
  • Plot plan (PDF) - The boundary line plot plan must be prepared and certified by a Massachusetts Registered Land Surveyor. Requirements on the plot plan are lot lines, set backs, Swimming Pool, Code Compliant Barrier, proposed addition and decks or porches, accessory structures, lot size, lot coverage, zoning district and completed on the Town of Needham Form. An As-Built plan will be required before framing can commence. (Available plot plan information used as a reference can be obtained in the Engineering Department). At application provide five (5) original copies of the plot plan.
  • Note: The barrier and all door alarms shall be installed before the swimming pool and/or spa can retain water.

Review Your Materials Before Submission to the Building Department

As the homeowner, even if you are using a contractor, you should pay close attention to the following details:

  • Building Permit Application  - All permit applications and attachments must be submitted electronically. We no longer accept paper permits.
  • Review your plot plan with your surveyor to make sure that all the dimension lines are included.
  • Review your plot plan and building plans to ensure compliance with current zoning regulations

Submit Your Application Materials
Submit completed forms to the Building Department at 500 Dedham Avenue along with:

  • Five (5) copies of the plot plan wet stamped and signed by a registered land surveyor (plot plan specifics). (Available plot plan information can be obtained in the Engineering Division)
  • Two (2) copies of building plans (wet stamped and signed), if applicable

What Happens Next?

Once the application is submitted, many town departments need to review the components for completeness and compliance. Each of the following departments must sign off on the application before it can be issued:

  • Building Department - completeness of drawings, zoning compliance
  • Public Works / engineering - utilities laid out properly, property lines correct, easements shown, wetlands and floodplains shown, building dimensions and offsets to property lines shown
  • Public Works / water and sewer - water (PDF) and sewer (PDF) laid out properly, review if connections are needed
  • Public Works / highway - determine if a street occupancy permit is required and secure a bond from the contractor
  • Public Works / administration - contact the applicant and inform of bonding, insurance, and street occupancy requirements
  • Conservation - compliance with wetlands, floodplain, Riverfront area regulations
  • Health Department - demolition, septic systems

All of these steps are necessary and can take time. The more time you spend to make sure that your application is complete, the quicker your permit will be issued. (Approximate timelines)

The permit is then issued and construction must begin within 6 months.

Get Inspections at Various Stages During the Work

Excavation/Steel Inspection
Electrical bonding inspection
Barrier inspection

Enjoy your new pool!

Please review the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) to understand this process and avoid problems that may slow down the process.