Peer Tutor Program
Peer Tutor Program
School Year 2021- 2022
The Peer Tutor Program matches high school students (tutors) with youth entering third through eighth grades (tutees) who have shown a need for additional academic support and have expressed an interest in working with a student volunteer tutor. The program provides a supportive learning environment where tutees can gain confidence, improve school performance, and develop study skills. Pairs meet weekly starting in October until the end of the school year.
Who better understands what it’s like to be a student then another student? Students helping other students can be a very successful and fun way to learn. The result may be better grades and improved self-esteem for both the tutee and the tutor.
For information or to learn more about the Peer Tutor Program:
Email Carolyn Tracey or call 781-455-7500 x266
Quick Application Links
Peer Tutor Application (For High School Tutors): https://forms.gle/DGazoUS7zFePVhuZA
- Teacher Recommendation Supplement (For High School Tutors): https://forms.gle/CbcUBBS7TQAzriAUA
Tutee Application (For 3rd-8th Grade Tutees): https://forms.gle/B4kUGwRBdxqBxPWc8
- Teacher Recommendation Supplement (For 3rd-8th Grade Tutees): https://forms.gle/oaj22h3nm9p98P9W7
Read More About Becoming a Tutor
Tutor Requirements & Expectations:
- Tutors must be high school students who live in the Town of Needham or attend Needham High School
- Tutors are eligible to receive Community Service Learning Credits
- Tutors are expected to meet with their tutees for one hour a week starting in October through the end of the school year. We ask that all participants commit to the full academic year.
- Tutors attend a mandatory training in the fall
- Tutors are expected to complete a brief log report about how each session with their tutee went.
- Tutors check in with program staff periodically during the year
How to Apply to Become a Tutor:
- Applications are now be accepted for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Applications can be completed online here
- Please request that a teacher complete a recommendation survey on your behalf:
- Teacher Recommendation Supplement (For High School Tutors)
- Once both application and teacher recommendation have been submitted, you will be invited to interview for a tutoring position.
Read More About Becoming a Tutee
Tutee Requirements & Expectations
- Tutees must be entering third through eighth grades and be residents of the Town of Needham or attend Needham Public Schools
- Tutees must have a need for academic assistance and be open and willing to work with a student volunteer as their tutor
- Tutees will meet with their tutor for one hour a week starting in October through the end of the school year. We ask that all participants commit to the full academic year.
- A $45 fee is requested from families / tutees utilizing this program to cover the cost of materials. This fee can be waived in the event of financial need. Learn more about the Fee Assistance Program.
- Tutees are eligible for two years of tutoring in the Peer Tutor Program
How to Apply to Receive Tutoring as a Tutee:
- Applications are now being accepted for the 2020-2021 School Year
- Application can be completed online here
- Please request that a teacher complete a recommendation survey on your child’s behalf:
- Teacher Recommendation Supplement (For 3rd-8th Grade Tutees)
- Acceptance is based on a combination of need and a lottery system. Acceptance is NOT first-come, first-served. Parents will be notified at the beginning of September if they have been accepted into the program.