The Town of Needham announced today that funding is available through the Small Repair Grant Program for qualifying seniors and those with disabilities to make health and safety improvements to their homes.
Grant funding can cover a wide variety of home repairs and modification including:
Small Jobs and/or Contractor Work: Plumbing, carpentry, window repairs, gutters or downspouts, door repair or replacement, step or porch repair, lock repair or replacement, cement work or masonry repair, tiling, plaster patching, sheet-rock repair, smoke/CO2 detectors, weather stripping, electrical, heating, interior painting, floors, installation, masonry, siding, roofing, and the like.
Adaptations: Bathroom grab bars, raised toilets or toilet seats, hand-held shower heads, tub transfer bench, tub seats/rails, bed transfer bars, railings throughout the house, change doorknobs to levers, hook-up bells to light switches, hook-up flashing light to phone, install various phone volume control devices, intercom entryway buzzer system, light switch height, etc.
The grant limit for this program is $5,000. Applications will be evaluated and prioritized based on program funding, health and safety considerations, and the financial need of the applicant. These grants are provided on an unsecured basis; there is no repayment required unless the grant recipient does not comply with program terms or transfers the home within one year.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- The property is in Needham, is owned and is the primary residence of the applicant, and the applicant intends to live in the home for the next 12 months.
- At least one household member is age 60 or older or is disabled.
- Household income is not higher than 80% of Boston Area Median Income limits including: Household of 1: $78,300, Household of 2: $89,500, Household of 3: $100,700, Household of 4: $111,850, etc.
- The property assessment is below the Town of Needham’s average assessed valued for a single-family home which is currently $1,016,185
- The applicant agrees to sign a grant agreement and to notify the Town through its Affordable Housing Trust prior to selling or listing the home for sale within the 12 months following payment under this program.
Applications are due by July 8, 2022, to be submitted to the attention of Karen Sunnarborg at the Planning and Community Development Department, 500 Dedham Avenue, Needham, MA 02492.
To obtain an application and a confidential assessment, contact Needham’s Affordable Housing Trust at 781-455-7550 ext. 220 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Information is also available on the Town’s Housing webpage at https://www.needhamma.gov/3679/Housing.