September 24, 2019
Needham Town Hall
Note: Agenda subject to revision, start times are approximate and
agenda items may be discussed at earlier or later times.
6:15 Exception 3: Potential Litigation & Collective Bargaining
6:45 Informal Meeting with Citizens
One or more members of the Select Board will be available between 6:45 and 7:00 p.m. for informal discussion with citizens. While not required, citizens are encouraged to call the Select Board’s Office at (781) 455-7500 extension 204 in advance to arrange for an appointment. This enables the Board to better assure opportunities for participation and respond to citizen concerns.
1. 7:00 Introduce Newly Promoted Fire Officers and Newly Appointed Firefighters
• Dennis Condon, Fire Chief
2. 7:00 Eversource Grant of Locations: (Maureen Carroll, Eversource Energy)
• Country Way
• Carleton Drive
• Taylor Street
3. 7:00 Verizon Grant of Location- Bancroft Street
• Karen Levesque, Verizon Representative
4. 7:15 Public Works Awards Recognition
• Kate Fitzpatrick, Town Manager
• Rick Merson, Director of Public Works
• Anthony Del Gaizo, Town Engineer
5. 7:20 Needham Cultural Council Utility Art Box Project
• Catherine (Charly) Nanda and Julia Gould, Needham Cultural Council
6. 7:30 Green Communities Designation
• Cecilia Simchak, Administrative Analyst
• Carys Lustig, Director of Finance & Administration/Public Services
• Kate Fitzpatrick, Town Manager
• Nick Hill, Volunteer
• Beth Greenblatt, Beacon Integrated Solutions
7. 8:00 Director of Public Works
• Notice of Traffic Regulation- Gibson Street
8. 8:10 Approve the Sale of Bonds
• David Davison, Assistant Town Manager/Director of Finance
9. 8:20 Town Manager
• Special Town Meeting Warrant
• Town Manager Report
10. 8:30 Board Discussion
• Committee Reports
CONSENT AGENDA *=Backup attached
1.* Approve a 20B Exemption for Brenda Considine-Miskin who is an employee at the Sunita Williams Elementary School as a Teaching Assistant to engage in work with the Park and Recreation Department as an Activity Instructor for the Breathe and Stretch to Unwind and Dance and Stretch and Unwind programs.
2.* Approve a 20B Exemption for Edmund Farrell who is an employee at the Needham Public Schools as the Nutrition Manager to engage in work with the Park and Recreation Department as an Activity Instructor for the Adult Badminton, Ice Skating, and Ski & Snowboard programs.
3.* Approve August 20, 2019 and September 10, 2019 open session minutes.
4.* Accept the donation from the Village Club of two granite benches and brick pavers to be installed at the Memorial Park Field House. This improvement to the project, located between the park entrance and the field near the water bubbler, has been approved by the Planning Board at its 9/3/2019 meeting. The donation is valued at approximately $3,500.
5.* In accordance with Section 20B of the Town Charter, and upon the recommendation of the Town Manager and the Personnel Board, adopt a compensation plan for Schedule K for fiscal year 2020.
6.* Water & Sewer Abatement Order #1280
7.* Approve a request for a One Day Special Wines and Malt Beverages license for Robert Timmerman II, of Needham Knights of Columbus to host its Music Bingo Night on Friday, September 27, 2019 from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. The event will be held at Needham Knights of Columbus, 1211 Highland Avenue, Needham.
8.* Approve a request for a One Day Special Wines and Malt Beverages license for Robert Timmerman II, of Needham Knights of Columbus to host its annual Oktoberfest event on Friday, October 18, 2019 from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. The event will be held at Needham Knights of Columbus, 1211 Highland Avenue, Needham.
9.* Approve a 20B Exemption for Regina Tedeschi-Sharpe who is an employee at the Needham Public Schools as a Substitute Teacher at the Newman Preschool to engage in work with the Park and Recreation Department as an Activity Instructor for the Early Release Day programs.
10.* At the request of the PPBC, support the allocation of up to $270,000 for landscaping and entrance relocation at the Cogswell Building/RTS.
11. Accept a $500 donation made to the Needham Public Health Division’s Substance Prevention Alliance of Needham (SPAN) from the Needham Knights of Columbus.
12.* Ratify revised hourly rate schedule (Appendix B) for the Custodial and Monitoring staff for Powers Hall and the Center at the Heights events.
13. Grant permission for the following residents to hold block parties:
Name Address Party Location Party Date PartyRain Date Party Time
Naomi Goldman 93 Gayland Road Gayland Road 10/5/19 10/6/19 3pm-6pm
Seema Pandya 43 Valley Road 30-47 Sterling Rd 10/26/19 10/27/19 11am-6pm
Allison Premo 354 Brookline St. 1 block of Brookline between Webster & Manning 10/27/19 N/A 3:30pm-5pm
Revised by the Town Clerks office on 9/24/2019 @ 2:30 PM