Climate Action Plan Committee
Climate Action Plan Committee
|Legal Reference:||Select Board Goals|
|Appointing Authority:||Select Board|
|Number of Voting Members:||Nine (9)|
|Term of Appointment:||Two (2) years|
|Special Municipal Employee:||Yes|
|Staff Support:||Town Manager/Designee, Director of Public Works/Designee|
*** Committee Membership Currently in Formation ***
Climate Action Plan Committee (CAPC) shall guide the Town in developing a plan that meets or exceeds the State’s climate mitigation and resilience goals. The Committee will make recommendations to the Select Board on approval of a Climate Action Plan (CAP), and may be asked to continue to serve as an advisory committee to oversee the implementation of the CAP.
Charge: The CAPC shall:
- Review the Town’s climate-related data (GHG inventory, energy consumption, vulnerability assessments, hazard mitigation plans, etc.).
- Seek guidance and establish a program to create a GHG inventory for the entire Town of Needham including pass through traffic, residential, commercial, and municipal.
- Recommend for adoption to the Select Board long-term climate action goals that focus on reducing greenhouse gas [GHG] emissions and building resilience within and across the Town’s residential, commercial, and municipal sectors, including roadmaps of steps to achieve goals.
- Recommend for adoption to the Select Board target dates, benchmarks and/or annual/interannual climate mitigation goals to achieve climate action goals.
- Plan and prioritize cross-sector efforts to reduce Town’s GHG emissions and build climate resilience.
- Recommend to the Select Board programs and policies to implement GHG reduction goals and climate resilience planning in such areas as, but not limited to:
- Energy, including reduction, source, and generation;
- Built environment including permitting, zoning, siting and code for new construction and renovations for municipal, school, commercial, industrial, and residential structures;
- Transportation systems;
- Land use;
- Water, Sewer & Stormwater;
- Waste management;
- Infrastructure; and
- Open space, agriculture and forestry.
- Develop a Climate Action Plan for the Select Board’s review and approval that includes:
- Definition of the climate action goals for each decade through 2050, with a focus on the next decade;
- Strategic options and incentives that seek to overcome barriers to implementation of climate action goals;
- Recommendations for any structural changes, resource, or staffing recommendations that would assist in implementation;
- Actions to protect environmental justice communities from disproportionate effects of climate change;
- Recommendations for implementing the plan across all sectors of the Town;
- Measures that assist in tracking and reporting Town’s progress towards fulfilling climate action goals; and
- Funding opportunities the Town should consider.
Reports: The CAPC shall report at least semi-annually to the Select Board on the following:
- Progress towards climate action goals;
- Measures taken to reduce emissions and build resilience;
- Evaluation of the effectiveness and implementation of these measures;
- Funding needed to enable initiatives recommended by the CAPC; and
- Community education and engagement.
Charge Adopted: September 28, 2021 Charge Revised:
SME Status Voted:
* Per M.G.L. Ch. 268A Sec. 1(n), the Select Board Members serving on CAPC cannot claim SME status, even though the CAPC, as an entity, is designated as such.