Open Space and Recreation Plan Update
The Town of Needham is undertaking the process of updating its Open Space and Recreation Plan (OSRP). The OSRP is a community-planning document that defines the Town's goals for reasonably preserving its natural resources and for maintaining adequate outdoor recreation opportunities. The Plan lays out a strategic framework for implementation consistent with community needs and desires by:
- Documenting the community's natural, recreational, and historical resources base;
- Identifying development trends that are likely to impact that resource base;
- Developing strategies to reasonably preserve and expand open space, natural, and recreational resources and opportunities;
- Prioritizing conservation and recreation needs
- Providing recommendations for reaching short and long term open space and recreation goals.
The first step in the process to update the Town's existing plan was the formation of an Advisory Group (AG) to guide the process. The AG, consisting of approximately forty (40) members, was formed in late August. In cooperation with the Town's consultant, the OSRP-AG will coordinate public information sessions, review existing materials, and collect and analyze data on residents' views on open space and recreation topics. The AG consists of representatives from multiple committees and also includes other stakeholders and interested parties.
The OSRP Update will be following the "Open Space and Recreation Planner's Workbook" (PDF), published by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The Workbook summarizes the need for an
If you would like more information, please email Matthew
Documents of Interest
Final Draft 2017 Open Space and Recreation Plan Update (PDF) - This document is currently under review by the Advisory Group and various Town boards. Any comments on the document should be submitted in writing to Matt