Recycling & Transfer Station
- RTS Alerts
- 2021 HHW & Paint Day
- Annual Sticker
- Recycling & Safe Disposal
- Yellow Trash Bags
- Bulky Waste & Clean-Outs
- What We Take
Tuesday through Saturday 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM
Summer hours are no longer in affect.
RTS Swap Shop is open again!
The Swap Shop will be closed for Paint Day collections Saturday Sept 18th
The Town has launched a new notification system To stay up to date on what's happening at the Recycle & Transfer Station, subscribe here: https://www.needhamma.gov/list.aspx?ListID=484
The RTS will no longer be accepting asphalt, brick, concrete and rocks.
Important information to know before visiting the Needham Recycling and Transfer Station:
• There are two lanes of traffic to enter the RTS – one lane to the left is for vehicles going straight to yard waste. The right lane is for residents disposing of trash and recyclables.
• Household trash must be disposed of in a yellow "pay-as-you-throw" bag.
• Residents are encouraged to visit the RTS during non-peak hours. Saturdays are extremely busy. If you can deliver your waste on other days, that would be appreciated.
• RTS is accepting drop-off of tires, refrigerators/air conditioners, and TVs and computers. Fees charged as applicable; see office trailer attendant.
• The RTS no longer offers a Goodwill Trailer. Book and textile recycling is available on site.
Please adhere to social distancing guidelines, including staying 6 feet away from fellow RTS patrons and staff. To minimize interaction, consider dropping items off during off-peak times instead of Saturdays.
Tuesday-Saturday: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Residential RTS stickers are now issued at no charge to Needham residents. Your current grey RTS sticker does not need to be renewed. View additional sticker applications or commercial hauler rates.
The Town of Needham provides residents with recycling and waste disposal services at the town’s transfer station, referred to as the RTS (Recycling and Transfer Station) or more affectionately "The Dump." The RTS is a residential drop-off facility with a two-tier pay-per-throw program. To use the RTS residents must display a current sticker and also purchase special bags for their non-recyclable trash. The bag fees help to cover the costs for operating the RTS. There is no fee for most recycling, so residents save money by recycling more and throwing away less.
Only residents or commercial entities whose vehicles have an up-to-date sticker affixed to their vehicle window may enter the RTS. The current (gray) resident sticker does not need to be renewed annually. Commercial stickers need to be renewed by March 31st. View an application and current rates.
Needham residents who have a current sticker may bring many recyclable items to the RTS for recycling or safe disposal. The more you recycle the more your save! Most of the items are accepted at no additional cost, a few have additional fees. View details.
Residents must purchase special Yellow Trash bags to dispose of their non-recyclable trash at the RTS. Bags come in large (30-gallon) and small (15-gallon) sizes and are available at a variety of local stores. For details click here.
Bulky waste may be disposed of at the transfer station for a fee, larger quantities and clean-outs for $140 per ton. Payment at the RTS scale house is by check or credit card only. Payments can also be mailed or brought to Town Hall where cash, checks and credit cards are accepted. Check-in with the office attendant for details.
MAIN DROP-OFF AREA
- Mixed Paper
- Corrugated Cardboard Boxes
- Glass, Metal & Plastic Household Product Containers
- Non-Recyclable Trash - (Require Yellow PAY bags)
ORGANICS PROCESSING AREA
- Leaves & Grass
- Brush & Branches
- Furniture, etc.
- Clean-outs, etc.
RE-USE-IT SWAP SHOP
- Bring items you no longer want or need; take away items you can use. Everything is free. All items must be in good working condition.
- No drop-off of items after 3 p.m.
ADDITIONAL ITEMS FOR REUSE, RECYCLING & SAFE DISPOSAL
- Appliances and Freon Items*
- Automobile Batteries
- Automotive Fluids
- Batteries - Rechargeable and Button Batteries
- Cell Phones
- Clothing and other Textiles - in any condition
- Computer Monitors (CRTs)*
- Deposit Bottles / Cans - Carbonated Beverage Containers
- Fluorescent Lamps (all sizes)
- Household Items for donation (small)
- Medical Sharps
- Mercury Containing Devices
- Paint - Third Saturday of the month April to October
- Plastic - Large rigid plastic items
- Printer Cartridges
- Propane Tanks*
- Scrap Metal