Recycling & Solid Waste Division
Swap Shop winter hours:
The Re-Use-It Swap Shop will remain open regular hours through Saturday, January 13th. Then, in recognition of the difficulty of staffing through the coldest weeks of the winter, the Swap Shop will reduce hours to 10am-2pm Tuesday-Saturday. This schedule will remain through Saturday, March 30th, 2024. Regular Swap Shop hours resume on Tuesday, April 2nd, 2024. The area will be closed when the weather conditions are unusually harsh - see this page for closure notices.
DAILY HOURS OF OPERATIONS
Only residents or commercial entities whose vehicles have an up-to-date sticker affixed to their vehicle window may enter the Recycle Transfer Station.
Clothing/textiles & mattresses are now banned from trash disposal. Click HERE for information about the Waste Ban.
The current (gray) resident sticker does not need to be renewed annually. New residents can receive a sticker for the Recycle Transfer Station from the Treasurer's Office in Town Hall - 1471 Highland Avenue.
2022-2023 Commercial stickers are available at the Recycle Transfer Station. View an application and current rates.
***New rates go into effect at the RTS truck scale starting Jan 1, 2024*** The new rate is $180/ton with a minimum charge of $30. That rate is set to increase to $220/ton on July 1, 2024. These rate adjustments will align Needham's scale fees with those of neighboring Towns and reflect the rising trash costs throughout Massachusetts and southern New England.
- RTS Alerts
- Recycling & Safe Disposal
- Yellow Trash Bags
- Bulky Waste & Clean-Outs
- What We Take
- Paint Collection Days
Other RTS Updates
The RTS will no longer be accepting asphalt, concrete and rocks.
Important information to know before visiting the Needham Recycling and Transfer Station:
• Household trash must be disposed of in a yellow "pay-as-you-throw" bag.
• The RTS no longer offers a Goodwill Trailer. Book and textile recycling is available on site.
Tuesday-Saturday: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Residential RTS stickers are now issued at no charge to Needham residents. Your current grey RTS sticker does not need to be renewed. View additional sticker applications or commercial hauler rates.
The Town of Needham provides residents with recycling and waste disposal services at the town’s transfer station, referred to as the RTS (Recycling and Transfer Station) or more affectionately "The Dump." The RTS is a residential drop-off facility with a two-tier pay-per-throw program. To use the RTS residents must display a current sticker and also purchase special bags for their non-recyclable trash. The bag fees help to cover the costs for operating the RTS. There is no fee for most recycling, so residents save money by recycling more and throwing away less.
Needham residents who have a current sticker may bring many recyclable items to the RTS for recycling or safe disposal. The more you recycle the more your save! Most of the items are accepted at no additional cost, a few have additional fees. View details.
Residents must purchase special Yellow Trash bags to dispose of their non-recyclable trash at the RTS. Bags come in large (30-gallon) and small (15-gallon) sizes and are available at a variety of local stores. For details click here.
Bulky waste may be disposed of at the transfer station for a fee, larger quantities and clean-outs for $140 per ton. Payment at the RTS scale house is by check or credit card only. Payments can also be mailed or brought to Town Hall where cash, checks and credit cards are accepted. Check-in with the office attendant for details.
MAIN DROP-OFF AREA
- Mixed Paper
- Corrugated Cardboard Boxes
- Glass, Metal & Plastic Household Product Containers
- Non-Recyclable Trash - (Require Yellow PAY bags)
ORGANICS PROCESSING AREA
- Leaves & Grass
- Brush & Branches
- Furniture, etc.
- Clean-outs, etc.
RE-USE-IT SWAP SHOP
- Bring items you no longer want or need; take away items you can use. Everything is free. All items must be in good working condition.
- No drop-off of items after 3 p.m.
ADDITIONAL ITEMS FOR REUSE, RECYCLING & SAFE DISPOSAL
- Appliances and Freon Items*
- Automobile Batteries
- Automotive Fluids
- Batteries - Rechargeable and Button Batteries
- Cell Phones
- Clothing and other Textiles - in any condition
- Computer Monitors (CRTs)*
- Deposit Bottles / Cans - Carbonated Beverage Containers
- Fluorescent Lamps (all sizes)
- Household Items for donation (small)
- Medical Sharps
- Mercury Containing Devices
- Paint - Third Saturday of the month April to October
- Plastic - Large rigid plastic items
- Printer Cartridges - bring to office supply store - check store web site for details
- Propane Tanks*
- Scrap Metal