Economic Development Manager
In the spring of 2007 Town Meeting approved adding a full-time economic development specialist to the Town's municipal staff. In addition to serving as staff to the Council and supporting other established committees that are charged with developing and implementing short and long-term economic development strategies, the Economic Development Manager:
- Serves as economic development liaison to local, state and federal agencies and groups that offer programs that enhance municipal economic development;
- Provides assistance and support to local businesses when they interact with Town departments;
- Coordinates and communicates activities of various business and economic development groups in Town;
- Provides limited staff support to these groups where needed;
- Works with Town departments to streamline permitting or make changes to the regulatory environment if they are acting as barriers to appropriate business development;
- Maintains a real estate and business database;
- Researches economic trends and targets appropriate industries and land uses.
For permitting questions, please refer to the Needham Permitting Guide 2012 (PDF).
Council of Economic Advisors
The Council of Economic Advisors was established by the Board of Selectmen in October, 2005. It is charged with six general tasks relating to the promotion of economic development in Needham:
- Study, investigate and appraise town-wide economic conditions and trends.
- Promote, assist and encourage the preservation, development and location of new and existing industry, business, and commerce.
- Assist the Town in attracting the preferred mix of goods, services, housing, recreation, and entertainment in the appropriate districts.
- Make recommendations on improving permitting and licensing functions in the Town.
- Evaluate and advise the Town on ideas for zoning changes that will improve the economic vitality of the Town.
- Advise and make recommendations to appropriate officials, agencies, boards, and Town departments on issues of economic development.
Some of the things we're working on can be seen in this presentation Oct. 2016 (PPT).
View a list of members of the Council of Economic Advisors.