July 23, 2019
Needham Town Hall
Note: Agenda subject to revision, start times are approximate and
agenda items may be discussed at earlier or later times.
6:45 Informal Meeting with Citizens
One or more members of the Select Board will be available between 6:45 and 7:00 p.m. for informal discussion with citizens. While not required, citizens are encouraged to call the Select Board’s Office at (781) 455-7500 extension 204 in advance to arrange for an appointment. This enables the Board to better assure opportunities for participation and respond to citizen concerns.
1. 7:00 Purple Heart Proclamation
2. 7:00 Certificates of Appreciation: Rose Doherty, Lois Bacon (retirees of Library Trustees)
3. 7:00 Public Hearings: Eversource Grant of Locations- Winding River Road, Country Way, and May Street
• Maureen Carroll, Eversource Energy
4. 7:00 Public Hearing- New Alcoholic License for Pancho's Taqueria Needham, LLC d/b/a Pancho’s Taqueria, 1450 Highland Avenue
• Carlos Chavira, Proposed Manager
5. 7:25 Director of DPW
• Sign Notice of Traffic Regulation - Glen Gary Road
• Sign Notice of Traffic Regulation – Glover Road & Louart Drive
6. 7:30 Continuation of Verizon Small Cell Hearing from 6/25/2019
• Victor Manougian, McLane Middleton
7. 8:30 Town Manager
• Special Town Meeting Update
• Town Manager’s Report
8. 8:45 Board Discussion
• Committee Reports
1. Accept the following gifts received by the Needham Public Library for the period of March 1, 2019 to June 30, 2019: Kay Rugan Paltsios made a donation in memory of William Powers ($25.00); Nancy Johnson made a donation in memory of Debra Olshever’s mother ($25.00); The following people made donations in memory of Sylvia Clark: Susan Harris ($50.00), and Diane McGuire ($25.00); Vanessa and Eric Rufa gave the library the following: A four-foot tall toy giraffe ($83.00), Busy Town Floor Block ($30.00), and Supersized picture book—Big Red Barn ($25.00); Kate Hanaway donated the following puzzles: Hot Air Adventure ($16.00), Roseate Spoonbill ($20.00), Downton Abbey ($20.00), Snow Day ($18.00), Cupcakes for Two ($15.00), Tiffany ($54.00), and
Shark Teeth & Shells ($22.00); Corinne Heald gave the library a copy of Needham Author Judi Getch Brodman’s book, She’s Not You ($14.99); Natalie Demerjian donated the puzzle, Disney—Thomas Kinkade ($18.00); The Needham Latinas Group donated 10 books in the Spanish Language ($50.00); Jay Donahue donated a large bag of plastic, candy-filled Easter eggs to the Children’s Room. They were from his rain-canceled Easter Egg Hunt ($20.00); Thomas Neeley gave the library a copy of Arthur Hittner’s book, Artist, Soldier, Love, Muse ($17.00); Wellesely Books sent the library a check for $10.50, 10% of amount for books sold at Young Adult Author Panel; William F. Gallagher, M.D. gave the library a check for $100.00 in appreciation of services rendered; Ann MacFate made a $250.00 donation for the purchase of large print books in memory of Irene MacFate; Ford Peckham donated a copy of Huê 1968 by Mark Bowden in memory of Major R.N. Peckham, Jr., USAF (Ret.) ($30.00); Andy Gassman gave the library an American Flag; Matt Robinson donated the following two books: New England Invite: Fresh Feasts to Savor the Seasons by Kate Bowler ($29.95), and The Man Who Lit Lady Liberty by Richard Schwartz ($29.95); Amy Kahn donated a puzzle of Klimt’s The Kiss ($30.00); Donna Halper donated $100.00 for the purchase of Genealogy Books; Joan Dickinson donated copies of two of her books:The UnPuritans: The Hanscome Trilogoy, Book I ($14.99), and The Lost Mulattos: The Hanscome Trilogy, Book II ($14.99); and Wendy Bertrand gave the library a copy of her memoir: Enamored with Place: As Woman + As Architect ($35.00).
2. Accept the following donation made to the Needham Park and Recreation Commission for its Arts in the Parks Summer Concert Series and Children’s Theatre Performances: $600 from Wingate Residences.
3. Approve a 20B Exemption for Catherine Murray who is an employee at the Broadmeadow Elementary School as a cafeteria worker to engage in summertime work with the Traveling Meals Program.
4. Approve road race event form from Christopher George of the Sean Biggs Memorial Foundation, to hold its 5K race/ 1 mile run in Needham on November 17, 2019 from 6:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, event will be held on November 24, 2019. The race application has been approved by the following departments: DPW, Police, Fire, and Park and Recreation.
5. Accept a $1,000 donation made to the Needham Public Health Division’s Gift of Warmth Program from the Carter Memorial United Methodist Church.
6. Accept a donation of 8 cases of napkins, and 3 cases of straws made to the Needham Park and Recreation Commission from the Needham Exchange Club. Items will be used at Park and Recreation programs.
7. Accept a $20 donation made to Needham Youth & Family Services from the Yee family. They would like the monies to be used towards future programs in the Youth & Family Services Department.
8. Approve a request for a One Day Special Wines & Malt Beverages license for Maxwell Sparr, of Trip Advisor to host a BBQ event for the Needham Chamber on Thursday, July 25, 2019 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. The event will be held at Trip Advisor, 400 First Avenue, Needham.
9. Approve a 2019 Common Victualler License for Chef Mike’s LLC d/b/a Chef Mike’s located at 73 Highland Avenue, Needham.
10. Approve and sign agreement between the Town of Needham and the Needham Independent Town Workers’ Association from July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2021.
11. Approve Open Session minutes from June 25, 2019.
12. Water and Sewer Abatement Order #1277.
13. Grant permission for the following residents to hold block parties:
Name Address Party Location Party Date Party Rain Date Party Time
Ratify-Deb Whitney 36 Hunting Rd Sachem Rd, east of Hunting Rd 7/13/19 N/A 11am-6pm
Jeanie Martin 139 Plymouth Rd Plymouth Rd ext. between Harris & the RR tracks 9/7/19 9/8/19 1pm-7pm
Katherine Calzada 9 Morton Street Morton St. between Webster and Highland 9/8/19 9/15/19 2pm-5pm
Caitlin Reisman 80 North Hill Ave. Howe Road 9/14/19 9/15/19 2pm-12am
Lisa Cherbuliez 17 Lindbergh Ave Lindbergh Ave between Paul Revere and Tower Ave 9/14/19 9/15/19 5pm-9pm
Mia Rizzo 64 Pinewood Rd Pinewood Road 9/21/19 9/22/19 3pm-9pm
Andrew Allen 955 Webster St. 900 block Webster St between Dedham Ave & Howland 9/21/19 9/28/19 12pm-3pm